We are a Labour Party campaign fighting austerity in local government. Since 2010 attacks on councils have cut services to the bone, and a new wave due to Covid-19 is about to strike.
We oppose all privatisation, outsourcing, and cuts to local government funding and services. We demand council budgets are set based on social need, & publicly owned.
We call on Labour Councillors, members, local government workers and anti-cuts campaigns to resist this new phase of austerity, demand the restoration of all lost funding since 2010, oppose service cuts and job losses, and fight for social ownership.
Three Ways to Fight the Council Cuts:
1. Vote for our National Policy Forum Submission
Simply log-in at the above link and hit "Vote"
2. Pass our motion in your Union/Labour Branch
Write to us at the below email if you pass the motion
3. Sign our Fight the Council Cuts Statement
Use the link to our Google Form on our Signatory page to sign up
Get involved in the fight, & let us know about your campaign. Write to us here:
Motion: Fight Austerity, Demand No Local Government Cuts
This Branch Notes:
1. That coupled with Local Government austerity, the global Covid-19 Pandemic has further restricted the finances of [Council], which is now unable to continue offering all existing services, without an immediate cash injection.
This Branch believes:
1. That the failure to properly resource local government is the direct result of relentless Tory austerity;
2. That further cuts will lead to job losses for local government workers at [Council], and service cuts, disproportionately impacting the working-class communities that the Labour Party seeks to represent;
3. That the cost of the Covid-19 crisis must not be saddled by workers, but the rich.
This Branch resolves:
1. To call on all [Council] Councillors to:
a) outright oppose council service cuts, and non-senior management job losses;
b) demand a financial settlement from central government sufficient to continue delivering all existing services;
c) contact the [Council] Unison/Unite/GMB Branch members pledging their solidarity, in a bid to build a campaign to resist cuts and job losses.
2. To call on our local party, trades council and wider workers movement to build a local campaign of resistance to service cuts and job losses, and for social ownership of all [Council] delivered services.
3. To call on the Labour Party nationally to campaign for:
a) emergency funding for local government (sufficient to avoid service cuts and job losses due to Covid-19)
b) a rapid reinstatement of all cuts to local government grants and funding since 2010, topped up to provide budgets on the basis of social need.
This motion has been adapted for more general use by one passed by the Stevenage branch of Momentum.
If you have passed this in your TU/Labour branch/CLP, write to us and let us know via the link at the bottom of the Main Site page.
We are Labour Party &/or Trade Union members who pledge to fight austerity in local government.
Since 2010 attacks on councils have cut services to the bone, and a new wave due to Covid-19 is about to strike.
We oppose all privatisation, outsourcing, and cuts to local government funding and services.
We demand council budgets are set based on social need, and delivered as publicly owned services, run in the interests of our communities, and the workers that deliver them.
We call on our Labour Councillors, Labour and Trade Union members and local government workers to urgently build a national campaign against local government cuts, through linking together new/existing local anti-cuts campaigns.
We will add signatories here once signed